Wednesday 7 December 2011

Latkes

So... I haven't posted anything for over a month (oops!), but I do have some recipes and pictures and stuff in store!!
Let's start with some latkes that I just made (I have the day off today, yay!). That was my first attempt at latkes and I was without a grater, but they still turned out quite nicely:-)
I used a recipe from yumsugar (one of my fave websites for food-related stuff), but didn't all do the keeping in water/keeping warm in oven stuff as I was only making a small batch for myself...

So I took:
- 2 potatoes
- 1 medium shallot
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon flour (I didn't want to bother converting to metric so I just used what I thought looked like the content of a tablespoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder (idem, but it's trickier for really small quantities!)
- some rosemary, salt and ground black pepper

The works:
1. I mixed the egg, baking powder, flour, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
2. I cut the shallot into pieces as small as possible (since I didn't have a grater handy, I used multi-blade scissors I got in the food area of a lifestyle fair recently).
3. I peeled the potatoes and gave them the knife + multi-blade scissors treatment too (disclaimer: they needed to be sliced pretty thin... anything over half a cm thick gave me trouble with the scissors).
4. I mixed the shallots + potato pieces with the rest.
5. I heated some oil in a pan and formed little pancakes, which I regularly turned (I think they took about 10-15 min to cook).
This gave me 5 latkes.



No comments:

Post a Comment